Roving Reproductive Health Manager at the International Rescue Committee (IRC)
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Roving Reproductive Health Manager
Requisition ID: req31932
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Employment Type: Full-Time
Employment Category: Fixed Term
Open to Expatriates: NO
- The Roving Reproductive Health Manager is a key focal point for both the IRC’s emergency and non-emergency reproductive Health care services and in Borno, Yobe and Adamawa States.
- The Roving RH Manager ensures that the IRC’s RH interventions are guided by the Nigeria Country Program SAP Implementation Plan.
- He/she reports to the Snr Reproductive Health Manager and works closely with other health managers, Monitoring and Evaluation Manager and sectors.
Program Management, Technical Quality and Strategy Health program management:
- Oversee the implementation of quality RH program activities at all IRC supported health facilities in the targeted areas
- Provide leadership, training, and guidance to staff and local partners to ensure programming meets best practice standards and prioritizes the security of beneficiaries and staff.
- Support the RH teams to develop awareness raising messages to promote uptake of emergency RH response services in a timely manner
- Promote coordination with the WPE team and ensure RH is incorporated into all the IRC supported facilities
- Prepare the RH mobile team members to respond quickly to emerging crises and newly accessible areas.
- Promote a culture of learning whereby lessons-learned and good practices are documented and shared for institutional memory.
- Design and lead assessments to ensure the voices of women and girls inform RH program design
- Support proper RH data collection and recording in the IRC supported RH units and women centers, support the compilation of data and generation of quality RH reports on a regular and timely manner.
- Develop protocols on information management in insecure environments
Program Development / Grant Management:
- Working with the Snr RH Manager the Roving RH Manager play key role in the development of proposals as needed.
- Review monthly BvAs and submit monthly BvA corrections.
- Prepare and keep updated budget spent out plans to maintain program expenditure within budget.
- Participate in Grants Opening, Mid-Term and Closing meetings.
- Prepare internal and external reports within agreed deadlines using IRC and donor formats, as required.
- Assure appropriate and timely spending of grants to achieve program goals, grant reporting contributions, use and distribution of supplies and resources.
Staff Performance Management, Learning & Development:
- Required for all positions with supervisory responsibility, if special considerations are needed (e.g. remote management), make this additive to the base language here.
- Hire, supervise, and build the capacity of Reproductive Health team members in relevant technical and management competencies.
- Develop and implement remote management capacity building approaches to build the strengths of the team in Nigeria.
- Coach, train, supervise and mentor direct-report staff, including communicating clear expectations, setting annual performance objectives, providing regular and timely positive and constructive performance feedback, and providing documented semi-annual performance reviews.
- Maintain open and professional relations with team members, promoting a strong team spirit and providing oversight and guidance to enable staff to successfully perform in their positions.
- Approve and manage all time, attendance and leave requests to ensure adequate departmental coverage; ensure monthly, accurate timesheet submission and carry out probationary reviews..
- Hold high-quality meetings with each direct report on a regular and predictable basis, at least monthly.
- Provide a measurable development plan including on-the-job learning with the aim of strengthening technical capacity, exchanging knowledge within the team and providing guidance on career paths.
Research, Learning and Analysis
- Monitoring health program implementation:
- Lead the development and oversee implementation of strong monitoring and evaluation systems. Lead the preparation of reports to the Supervisor and donors.
- Provide trend analysis on areas where there is programming to improve services and advocacy for Target group/women and girls
- Ensure regular health program data analysis and review, take follow up action on project implementation and prepare relevant action reports;
- Monitor and promote integrated programming in a way that increases overall impact of health program at the community level.
- Make regular field visits to monitor project implementation and provide on spot support to field teams and propose modifications as necessary.
Coordination & Representation:
- Represent the program to State and Local government representatives, , partner agencies, etc. as required;
- In coordination with the Senior RH Manager actively develop and maintain effective working relationships with key stakeholders with government actors, international and local NGOs, and other relevant actors.
- Attend all relevant meetings in relation to the health program as may be required and feed in the IRC priorities during meetings;
- Facilitate field visits for internal and external stakeholders, when required.
Key Working Relationships:
- Position Reports to: Senior Reproductive Health Manager
- Indirect/Technical Reporting: Health coordinator, Senior Health manager, SPC and Deputy Director of Program.
- Position directly Supervises: RH Medical Doctor, RH Officers, RH Capacity building officer, Nurse midwives and work closely with Health Managers and Snr Health manager.
Key Internal Contacts:
- Country Program:Country Director, Deputy Director Program, Finance Controller, Deputy Director Operation, DDFM
- Region/Global: Program TU
Key External Contacts:
- Health Professional (MD or RN / RM) with strong public health background.
- 2 years RH program management experience, preferably in insecure locations,
- Experience in technically supervising reproductive health staff in a complex setting.
- Demonstrated ability to support and build staff capacity.
- Experience in writing project proposals, concept notes, budgeting, and donors’ reports.
- Have experience in general management including financial and budget management, HR and logistics management
- Thorough understanding of gender-based violence response protocols and service provision.
- Ability to validate and interpret health data.
Demonstrated Technical Skills:
- Background in situation analysis, health assessments M&E and program implementation.
Demonstrated Managerial/Leadership Competencies:
- Skills and experience of remote management and willingness to travel extensively
- Flexible, diplomatic and have ability and willingness live and work under pressure of workloads
Computer/Other Tech Requirements:
- Full professional competency in Microsoft Office Suite, especially Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint.Add position-specific (e.g. accounting software, statistical software, etc.).
Ability to Travel:
- 30 % of time if applicable.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Gender Equality: IRC is committed to narrowing the gender gap in leadership positions. We offer benefits that provide an enabling environment for women to participate in our workforce including parental leave, gender-sensitive security protocols and other supportive benefits and allowances