WASH Coordinator at Action Against Hunger
Action Against Hunger is the world’s hunger specialist and leader in a global movement that aims to end life-threatening hunger for good within our lifetimes. For 40 years, the humanitarian and development organization has been on the front lines, treating and preventing hunger across nearly 50 countries. It served more than 21 million people in 2018 alone.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: WASH Coordinator
Duration: 12 months fixed term contract
Your Work Environment
- Action Against Hunger has been operational since 2010 in Northeast and has been able to successfully implement integrated programs in Nutrition, Health, Food Security and Livelihoods (FSL) and Water, sanitation and Hygiene (WASH).
- Further the mission has expanded its programs in the wake of conflict in Borno state since 2017 , focusing on long term sustainable programs dedicated to system strengthening for Health, WASH, Social Protection, and Agriculture sectors. In 2018,?ACF launched the Rapid Response Mechanism (RRM) in Nigeria in an effort to address the urgent humanitarian assistance to the displaced populations in Northern part of the country.
- With this approach, ACF is among the lead agency that is currently reaching the NE &NW regions with Rapid Humanitarian assistance for the conflict and other disaster affected population.
- Currently, without comprising Local Government Areas (LGAs) reached on RRM modality, ACF is providing an integrated humanitarian response in Yobe State (12 LGAs), Borno (11 LGAs), Bauchi (2 LGAs) and Jigawa (6 LGAs) with partial presence in Kano. Despite the remarkable achievements in humanitarian sector, ACF, as other humanitarian actors, has been continuously affected by the shrinking humanitarian space.
- The mission is of approximately 400 staff. The WASH Coordinator position is based in Abuja, but providing technical support to the field, requiring significant amount of travel. This role requires high level of management and leadership skills and the ability to work in sensitive cultural environments
- The WASH Coordinator will be providing technical support on WASH related matters to programmes and other teams in the misson. He/she will be supporting the ECHO, SIDA and USAID funded projects in implementing their WASH activities.
Your Job and Your Responsibilities
- You will lead the development of WASH Country strategy in line with the country strategy for an effective implementation of WASH Programs in the mission.
More specifically, you will:
- Coordinate the identification of needs and formulation of project proposals
- Ensure the active participation of Action Against Hunger in national sectorial coordination and technical forums, and develop sectorial partnerships.
- Provide technical support and coordination for long-term WASH and electrification project.
- Ensure that research, technical studies and innovative projects related to WASH are conducted.
- Degree in Water Engineering / Construction Engineering / Public Health with experience in water, sanitation, hygiene and health education projects with over 3 years of experience OR relevant Degree with at least 5 years’ experience in project management, preferably in a humanitarian context. Experience can be considered in lieu of academic qualification, but not vice-a-versa.
- Excellent management and representation competencies as well as influencing and negotiation skills.
- Experience in developing world context.
- Strong understanding of project cycle management, monitoring and evaluation ;
- Working experience in complex emergencies.
- Willingness to work in insecure context.
- Interest and/or experience in hygiene education and training and/or community led methodologies.
- Demonstrated previous experience in and strong proposal writing and donor reporting skills.
- Demonstrated experience in financial management and preparation of budgets for programming.
- Proficiency in MS Office Applications ;
Why Join Us?
- Remuneration package and competitive benefits according to ACF policies
- ACF Nigeria is a big mission, managing a budget of close US$40 per year. This is an exciting opportunity to bring lasting and sustainable life change to the vulnerable people of the North of Nigeria.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 1st November, 2022.
Note: ACF is committed to people with disabilities and actively fights against all forms of discrimination