Clerk of Pan African Parliament (PAP) at the African Union (AU)
The African Union (AU) is a continental body consisting of the 55 member states that make up the countries of the African Continent. It was officially launched in 2002 as a successor to the Organization of African Unity (OAU, 1963-1999). We are an Integrated, Prosperous and Peaceful Africa, driven by its own citizens and representing a dynamic force in the global arena.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Clerk of Pan African Parliament (PAP)
Requisition ID: 1431
Location: Midrand, South Africa
Reports to: President of PAP
Directorate / Department: Office of the Clerk
Division: Plenary, Hansard, Interpretation and Documentation
Number of Direct Reports: 5
Number of Indirect Reports: 9
Job Grade: D1
Contract Type: Regular
Purpose of Job
- To provide leadership in the management of PAP’s corporate services, finances and general administrative requirements ensuring that PAP’s internal day-to-day operations run smoothly.
- Reports to the President of the PAP
- Undertakes statutory responsibilities as Clerk of Parliament
- Regularly analyzes and reviews processes and procedures and recommend appropriate and timely changes to improve performance;
- Manages the provision of services to ensure that they comply with procurement guidelines and contractual agreements signed with the PAP
- Interfaces with the officials of the Government on host country agreement with the African Union relating to its obligations, diplomatic privileges and immunities to the Members of PAP and its staff
- Provides leadership in the management of PAP’s corporate services, finances and general administrative requirements and ensuring that PAP’s internal day-to- day operations run smoothly
- Provides strong and effective professional and managerial leadership in the development and implementation of internal corporate, financial, administrative and human resources management strategies, policies and plans;
- Performs any other duties that may be assigned by the President.
- Provides advice to the Parliament, the President, the Bureau and the Members on the procedure (formal and informal rules of its operations)
- Formally records decisions of the Parliament in the Plenary and the Committees
- Assists the President in preparing for the sessions comprising the Plenary and the Committees and gives advice on procedure
- Maintains the authentic verbatim record of proceedings of the Parliament and signs or endorses all orders and official communication of the Parliament.
- Chairs management meetings, which discuss corporate issues, enters into contracts on behalf of the Parliament, acquires and manages properties of the Parliament
- Leads and facilitates the development and implementation of frameworks, systems and policies for managing administrative services in PAP in accordance with AU rules and regulations
- Guides, analyses and reviews processes and working methods and recommends procedure and policy changes to the President, to improve operations
- Ensures compliance with contractual agreements signed with PAP
- Facilitates and guides the provision and implementation of effective procurement framework, systems, policies and guidelines
- Advises and supports the provision of quality facilities management services, security services, as well as asset management framework, policies and systems
- Leads and facilitates the provision and implementation of an effective IT framework, system and policies.
- Provides oversight of the administrative budget, ensuring that it is utilized in an effective and efficient manner and in accordance with the African Union Financial Rules & Regulations and Policies
- Interfaces with the host country’s Government in liaison with the Legal Officer on privileges and immunities matters for PAP and its staff
Academic Requirements and Relevant Experience
- Master’s Degree in Law, Public Administration or Social Sciences is required
- Minimum of fifteen (15) years relevant work experience, with at least eight years
- (8) years at Managerial level and five (5) at supervisory level including serving as Clerk of Parliament at National and/or Supranational organisation with experience in drafting, interpretation of rules and procedure and parliamentary operations and administration
- Demonstrated knowledge of the African Union system and capacity to coordinate, manage, monitor and evaluate the work of the Pan African Parliament
- A sharp and analytical mind imbued with creative thinking, innovation-generating and problem-solving skills
- Ability to interact with officials and professional colleagues at the highest levels of government, private sector, civil society, and international organizations
- Excellent strategic visioning, planning, implementation, monitoring, evaluation and reporting skills
- Ability to work with enthusiasm and commitment under pressure and minimal supervision, multi-task with a wide range of individuals and institutions and be proactive and creative with sound judgment
- Ability to leverage limited resources and staff for maximum impact
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural and multi-national organizational environment
- Strong networking and representation skills and ability to mobilize support on behalf of the Pan African Parliament
- Excellent computer application skills (Microsoft Office package – MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint; knowledge and information sharing platforms, eg, Teamwork).
- Excellent oral and written communication, facilitation and presentation skills, proven ability to clearly and concisely prepare, present, discuss and defend issues, findings and recommendations; strong editing skills
- High ethical and accountability standards, impeccable integrity and a deep sense of fairness
- Highly refined diplomatic skills, exceptional interpersonal skills and possession of a teamwork orientation and ability to interact harmoniously and effectively with colleagues from diverse disciplines, perspectives, countries and cultures
- Ability to make objective decisions and resolve problems, exercising the highest sense of responsibility and maturity in the handling of confidential and sensitive issues
- Ability to generate innovative, practical solutions to challenging situations, with tact and emotional maturity without losing composure and focus
- Ability to identify opportunities and build strong relationships with partners and other external parties
- Strategic Focus
- Developing Organizational Capability
- Change Leadership
- Strategic Risk Management.
- Building Partnership.
- Drives Accountability Culture
- Learning Orientation
- Communicating with impact.
- Conceptual Thinking
- Job Knowledge and information sharing
- Drive for Results
- Fosters Innovation.
Tenure of Appointment
- The appointment will be made on a regular term contract for a period of three (3) years, of which the first twelve months shall be considered as a probationary period Thereafter, the contract will be for a period of two years renewable, subject to satisfactory performance and deliverables.
- Proficiency in one of the AU working languages (Arabic, English, French, Portuguese, and Spanish) and fluency in another AU language is an added advantage.
Indicative basic salary of US$ 78,138.00 (D1 Step1) per annum plus other related entitlements eg Post adjustment (57% of basic salary), Housing allowance US$ 27,29088 (per annum), and education allowance (100% of tuition and other education-related expenses for every eligible dependent up to a maximum of US$ 10,00000 per child per annum), for internationally recruited staff and a maximum of $3,300 per child per annum for locally recruited staff.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
- Only candidates who have met all the requirements of the post and have been selected for an interview will be contacted.
- Only applications registered online with a complete Curriculum Vitae (CV) attached will be considered.
- Gender Mainstreaming: The AU Commission is an equal opportunity employer and qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.
- The Africa Union is an equal opportunity employer and female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Application Deadline 24th October, 2022.