Safety and Security Focal Point Officer at Education as a Vaccine
Education as a Vaccine is a non-governmental, youth focused organization that works inpartnership with children and young people to advance their rights to health and protection from all forms of violence by strengthening their capacities providing direct services and influencing policies for improved quality of life.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Safety and Security Focal Point Officer
Location: Abuja (HQ Office)
Reports to: Team Leader
- The Safety and Security Focal Point (SFP) coordinates safety and security among different organizations and groups that participate in the CoAs. She/he/they is able to facilitate adherence to safety and security standards across the CoA.
- She/he/they bring good and positive energies, is able to create a safe environment, and is responsible for upholding We Lead values and principles and translating them into practice.
- The SFP will ensure that the community of action and the host organisation are working within an environment consistent with accepted minimum safety and security standards.
- She / he / they will facilitate and support the development and implementation of organizational level and joint project proposals and reports, in line with We Lead guidelines. In doing so, she/he/they will closely work together with relevant consortium-staff, particularly with the Safety and Security Expert from Hivos.
- The SFP is preferably is a young person (under 35) preferably from one of the rightsholder groups. She/he/they will be connected with the other SFPs to exchange experiences and learn together. Throughout this process she/he/they will be coached by Hivos.
- This encompasses the development of security plans and mainstreaming the individual and collective sense of security and safety awareness and responsibility.
- The role also consists of advising the We Lead consortium partners on security challenges, developing risk assessments and proposing risk reduction measures in addition to developing, maintaining, updating and implementing when necessary, security protocols and operating procedures according to the changing situation.
Key Task and Responsibilities
- Provide technical support to the CoA in developing and regularly updating Safety and Security Management Plan and tools in accordance with the nature of safety and security risks including detailed threat assessment, security protocols, standard operating procedures for personal movement & transport, office, tele/radio communications, incident report sheets, asset protection etc.
- Strengthen the capacities of CoAs in analysing the parameters of the working environment by assessing the nature of the threats and (community of action CoAs) vulnerabilities in relation to the emergency situation.
- Guide the CoA in integration of safety and security measures in their daily activities.
- Offer technical expertise to CoAs in identifying any potential threats to rights holders, information or physical safety.
- Alert the host organisation and CoA members of possible internal security threats as well as external ones.
- Provide technical support in implementation of the most effective systems for protecting rights holders.
- Facilitate capacity strengthening sessions efforts to empower rights holders to prevent security threats of any kind
- Provide technical support to the CoA and host organisation in developing, writing and publishing materials outlining security procedures.
- Link the CoA to a network of contacts among local actors to facilitate the CoAs work and enhance the security of its operations.
- Relevant Degree or comparable work experience, and academic level of working and thinking.
- Three (3) to five (5) years of relevant working experience on Safety and Security, and / or in working with young people, and / or in programme design, implementation, monitoring and evaluation.
- Experience with or an appetite for working in international teams.
- Lived experience as a part of one or more of the rightsholder groups is an asset.
- Has expertise in developing security related technical tools guidelines and systems, IT security management skills are an asset
- Ability to teach basic personal safety and security.
- Strong assessment, evaluation, analysis and strategic planning skills.
- Have experience and a passion for working on sexual and reproductive health and rights (SRH-R) and / or working with one or several of the rightsholder groups.
- Is able to establish productive and innovative collaborations, including between organizations, groups and persons that maybe do not always work together.
- Is a good communicator, with strong inter-personal skills, and natural empathy
- Is self-aware and possess a comfort with their own identity and a diverse range of other identities, such as sexual and gender identities
- Is committed, able to build others trust and keep confidences, and takes responsibility for personal performance
- Flexible attitude, creative, innovative, sense of humour.
- Full professional proficiency in English.
- Has a progressive and positive view on rightsholders’ SRH-R
- Believes in We Lead values, and is accountable to them.
- Is keen on ensuring ownership by local, young, rightsholder-led, organizations, and in finding innovative and creative solutions to realize goals.
- Preferably is a young person, and preferably identifies as part of one of the rightsholder groups.
- Gets energy when she/he/they can bring people and organizations together around a shared goal.
- Has the confidence to manage and facilitate groups and loves to do so.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Note: This position is for nationals or residents of the concerned country
Application Deadline 23rd September, 2022.