Senior International Relations Officer (PAP) at the African Union (AU)
The African Union (AU) is a continental body consisting of the 55 member states that make up the countries of the African Continent. It was officially launched in 2002 as a successor to the Organization of African Unity (OAU, 1963-1999). We are an Integrated, Prosperous and Peaceful Africa, driven by its own citizens and representing a dynamic force in the global arena.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Senior International Relations Officer (PAP)
Requisition ID: 1441
Location: Midrand, South Africa
Reports to: Clerk of Parliament
Directorate / Department: Office of the Clerk
Division: International Relations Unit
Number of Direct Reports: 1
Number of Indirect Reports: 0
Job Grade: P3
Contract Type: Regular
Purpose of Job
- To ensure the development of cooperation strategies, facilitates communication between PAP and external stakeholders, promoting a positive and collaborative relationship.
- Advises on issues of external, diplomatic and international nature.
- Acts as contact point in the communication of PAP with the international community.
- Regularly scans the environment to monitor developments in the external world that have an impact on PAP’s operations.
- Collates and prepares reports on matters of relations and cooperation.
- Ensures that report of Resource mobilisation efforts in the PAP is submitted timely to Management.
- Responsible for planning, promoting and maintaining good relations between PAP and the international and regional community, including national and regional parliaments, development organisations, national governments, development partners, the private sector and non-governmental organisations.
- Facilitates the development and maintenance of database with contact details of PAP Development partners and stakeholders.
- Promotes positive image and objective understanding of work and activities of PAP.
- Supervises the function of Resource Mobilisation
- Facilitates the implementation of PAP’s headquarters agreement with the host country.
- Negotiates and lobbies on behalf of PAP in areas of cooperation and mobilisation of both human and financial resources.
- Performs any other duties that may be assigned by the Supervisor.
Academic Requirements and Relevant Experience
- A Master’s Degree in International Relations / Diplomacy or Public Administration with seven (7) years relevant work experience, of which, at least three (3) should be at supervisory level in an international organization. OR
- A Bachelor’s Degree in the above-mentioned fields but with ten (10) years of experience, at least three (3) of which should be at supervisory level in an international organisation.
- Candidates are expected to be familiar with the operations of Parliaments.
- Interpersonal skills, a teamwork orientation and ability to interact harmoniously and effectively in a multi-cultural environment with colleagues from diverse disciplines, perspectives, countries and cultures.
- Ability to make objective decisions and resolve problems, exercising the highest sense of responsibility in the handling of confidential and sensitive issues in a reasonable and mature manner.
- High ethical standards, integrity and a deep sense of fairness
- Proficiency in one of the African Union working languages, knowledge of other working languages would be an added advantage.
- Diplomatic skills and the ability to generate innovative, practical solutions to challenging situations, with tact and emotional maturity without losing composure.
- Strategic Insight
- Developing others
- Change Management.
- Managing Risk.
- Building Relationships
- Foster Accountability Culture
- Learning Orientation
- Communicating with Influence
- Conceptual thinking
- Job Knowledge Sharing
- Drive for Results
- Continuous Improvement Orientation
Tenure of Appointment
- The appointment will be made on a regular term contract for a period of three (3) years, of which the first twelve months shall be considered as a probationary period.
- Thereafter, the contract will be for a period of two years renewable, subject to satisfactory performance and deliverables.
- Proficiency in one of the AU working languages (Arabic, English, French, Portuguese, and Spanish) and fluency in another AU language is an added advantage.
Indicative basic salary of USD37,453.00 (P3 Step1) per annum plus other related entitlements e.g. Post adjustment (57% of basic salary), Housing allowance US$ 21,832.68 (per annum), and education allowance (100% of tuition and other education-related expenses for every eligible dependent up to a maximum of US$ 10,000.00 per child per annum), for internationally recruited staff and a maximum of $3,300 per child per annum for locally recruited staff.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 24th October, 2022.
- Only candidates who have met all the requirements of the post and have been selected for an interview will be contacted.
- Only applications registered online with a complete Curriculum Vitae (CV) attached will be considered.
- Gender Mainstreaming: The AU Commission is an equal opportunity employer and qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply