Operations & Finance Director at Chemonics International
Chemonics International – We’re one of the world’s leading partners in international development, because where Chemonics works, development works. From our founding in 1975, we have worked in more than 150 countries to help our clients, partners and beneficiaries take on the world’s toughest challenges. Today, we re-imagine global supply chains to deliver essential medicines to the right place at the right time. Our global network of more than 4,000 specialists share an unwavering resolve to work better, driven by a conviction that the world must be better.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Operations & Finance Director
Chemonics International Inc. is a US-based international development consulting firm operating in over 80 countries, starting up the USAID-funded Frontier Health Markets Engage project in Nigeria. As USAID’s flagship private sector health project, FHM Engage envisions a world in which health markets are responsive, equitable, resilient, and driven by consumer needs. To meet this vision, FHM Engage – led by Chemonics and its core partners, co-technical lead Results for Development, Pathfinder, and Zenysis – catalyzes the adoption of fresh, contextually-relevant pathways in health market development by building on existing structures and offering strong behavioral, technical, and managerial approaches.
While supporting local market actors to build upon current government and donor investments, we also use systems thinking to understand the market system, identify root causes of market under performance, and develop context-specific and locally informed strategies and solutions to systematically change market environments and health markets. FHM Engage works in 7 intermediate result areas, namely: Stewardship, Health financing, Rules & Regulations, Market Intelligence, Supply (Services), Supply (Products), and Demand. The initial geographic focus is Federal Capital Territory (FCT) and Ebonyi. It is anticipated that additional states will be programmed in following years.
- We are recruiting an Operations and Finance Manager for the USAID- funded Frontier Health Markets Engage project.
- The Operations and Finance Director is responsible for overseeing all aspects of office administration, human resources, procurement, and logistics for the FHM Engage Nigeria program in compliance with U.S. government regulations, Chemonics’ corporate and field office policies, and Nigeria law.
- This individual is responsible for establishing and managing all project finance and accounting procedures in line with USAID rules and regulations and providing the technical staff with operational support. They will liaise frequently with Chemonics’ Home Office project management unit (PMU) in Washington, D.C. to ensure smooth operations of the project.
- We are looking for individuals who have a passion for making a difference in the lives of people around the world. The estimated start date for the position is expected to be on/around mid-November, 2022.
Finance and Accounting:
- Ensure the program’s practices abide by US government accepted accounting procedures, USAID procedures, Chemonics policy, and Nigeria law
- Prepare proper financial documentation using ABACUS software program, and accurately process expenditures for monthly invoicing to USAID
- Manage the processing of local taxes for the program
- Submit the monthly wire transfer payment request on time and with the required documents included to the PMU as backup.
- Perform other finance and accounting duties as required
- The Operations and Finance Manager will report to and be supervised by the FHM Engage Nigeria Country Director.
- Review and prepare project payments for Country Director final approval and make accurate recording in financial management software of per diem expense reports, requests for payments, vendor invoices, wire transfer requests, petty cash, and similar financial tasks.
- Liaise with the local bank, reconcile monthly bank statements for both USD and local currency accounts, and verify all deposits and withdrawals
- Liaise with local entities such as project bank, tax registration and local business authorities, and ensure registrations and certifications are up to date and compliant
- Manage office procurements, including issuing RFQs and RFPs, obtaining and reviewing price quotes from suppliers, writing selection memos, negotiating with suppliers as necessary, overseeing the delivery and inspection of goods, and collecting and filing all relevant procurement documents in accordance with Chemonics processes and procedures for field office procurement.
- Manage all onboarding processes to ensure new hires are provided with adequate training and orientation regarding the project and relevant Chemonics policies to perform the job to the best of their ability
- Supervise staff as assigned and provide routine performance feedback
- Ensure strict compliance with USAID regulations and Chemonics’ standard policy and procedures at all times.
- Assist with updating project procedure and policy manuals as necessary and in coordination with the Chemonics home office
- Support the timely completion of any other administrative, operations, or contractual tasks as assigned by the regional country director or his/her designee
- Maintain tracking systems for inventory, procurements, and personnel
- Oversee the recruitment processes in compliance with Chemonics established procedures including but not limited to supporting development of job descriptions and interview questions, shortlisting and pre-screening candidates, scheduling interviews, and conducting reference checks, negotiating offers of employment, and collecting required documentation from candidates and filing paperwork appropriately.
- Other tasks as required.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Finance, Business Administration or a related discipline. Masters preferred
- Minimum of five (5) years of experience managing a complex projects’ human resources, finances, operations, and strategies
- Excellent administrative, organizational, and written and verbal communication skills.
- Must be authorized to work in Nigeria
- Demonstrated leadership, versatility, and integrity
- Written and spoken fluency in English.
- Knowledge of USAID regulations and procedures, especially procurement and cost accounting principles
- Knowledge of Nigeria operating environment, including registration, taxes, and labor law.
- Proven track record of managing complex budgets successfully
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV and Cover Letter to: [email protected] using “Operations and Finance Manager” as the subject of the email.
Application Deadline 17th October, 2022.
- No telephone inquiries, please. Chemonics will contact finalists. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
- Chemonics is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, or other non-merit factors.
- Chemonics values the protection of your personal data. If you are in the European Union, please read our EU Recruiting Data Privacy Notice to learn how we process personal data. You may access the notice via the following link: https://chemonics.com/eu-recruiting-data-privacy-notice/