Assistant Technical Officer, Laboratory Services at FHI 360
Family Health International (FHI 360) is a nonprofit human development organization dedicated to improving lives in lasting ways by advancing integrated, locally driven solutions. Our staff includes experts in health, education, nutrition, environment, economic development, civil society, gender, youth, research and technology – creating a unique mix of capabilities to address today’s interrelated development challenges. FHI 360 serves more than 70 countries and all U.S. states and territories.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Assistant Technical Officer, Laboratory Services
Requisition ID: 2022201888
Location: MMC-Jere, Maiduguri, Borno
Job Type: Full time
Supervisor: Technical Officer, Health Services
- Northeast Nigeria is currently facing a growing humanitarian crisis with a vast number of Internally Displaced Persons in need of emergency assistance.
- These IDPs are living among host communities, lacking access to livelihoods and resources, ultimately leading to unprecedented levels of malnutrition and food insecurity.
- FHI 360 has been working in Nigeria for over 30 years and is now expanding activities in Borno state to respond to the IDP crisis.
- FHI 360 is expanding its expertise by responding to this humanitarian crisis through integrated WASH, Health and Protection interventions
- Provide technical support and implement high quality laboratory services for FHI 360 humanitarian program. Provide technical assistance and capacity building for laboratory services to FHI 360 and facility staff.
- Provide technical support on laboratory quality assurance issues at LGA and facility level.
- The ATO, Lab. Services will prepare specimens, follow detailed manual tests, oversee automated analysis tests and report tests results to assist in the diagnosis and treatment of patients.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Works as part of a multidisciplinary team of international and national staff to provide high quality patient care to an extremely vulnerable population.
- Process specimens, conduct testing and report test results with constant attention to detail and excellence in quality.
- Assist with quality assurance and performance improvement activities.
- Performs non-routine analysis when given direction.
- Works with technical support and M&E teams to collect appropriate baseline data over the life of the project Compiles and submits periodic reports
- Ensures adequate infection prevention and control standards are maintained at all times.
- Operates laboratory instruments and equipment.
- Keep organized records of specimens, tests, instrument logs, and technical analyses according to written instructions.
- Recognizes problems and errors and seek corrective actions. Adheres to the relevant Code of conduct and Ethics Conduct and document appropriate quality control and assurance procedures.
- Performs any other duties as may be assigned
Qualifications and Requirements
- B.Sc in Laboratory Sciences or a related field with 3 – 5 years post National Youth Service (NYSC) experience in provision of laboratory support.
- Knowledge of advanced laboratory procedures, diagnosis and management related to care and treatment is required with some experience in humanitarian activities preferred.
- Certification of license to practice as a medical laboratory scientist is required. Familiarity with Nigerian public sector health system and NGOs and CBOs highly desirable.
- Previous experience working in a humanitarian crisis situation is highly desirable.
Knowledge, Skills & Attributes:
- Knowledge of Quality Assurance and Quality Control.
- Knowledge of laboratory equipment and techniques for the following categories of assays
- Ability to manage tight deadlines and deliver high volumes of work with minimal supervision.
- High degree of proficiency in written and spoken English and Hausa communications.
- Well-developed computer skills. Ability to travel within 25% time.
- Sensitivity to cultural differences and understanding of the social, political and ethical issues in the community.
- Ability to work well with others and to develop and maintain compatibility among project staff, subcontractors, consultants and recipients of assistance.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply